info@thisisharz

Kerken en Kloosters

Top rated
(10)

Walkenried Monastery

The monastery which was founded in 1127 was the third Cistercian monastery to be established in Germany. The monastery was founded by Countess Adelheid as the third Cistercian monastery within German speaking territory and was confirmed in 1137 by Pope Innocent II.

6

Adults

Details

Top rated
Drübeck Monastery
(10)

Drübeck Monastery

The site of a former monastery of nuns of the Order of Saint Benedict, first mentioned as Drubechi ("Three Brooks") in a 960 deed by Emperor Otto I. After the monastery became extinct in the Thirty Years War, the estates were acquired by the Counts of Stolberg-Wernigerode.

free

Adults

Details

Islenburg Monastery
(8)

Islenburg Monastery

Almost in slumber lays the remarkable former monastery Ilsenburg. The 1000 year old monastery is a rarity on European soil with special plaster floor engravings from the Middle Ages. The monastery was built on land given for the purpose in 1003 by Emperor Henry III to the Bishop of Halberstadt.

3

Adults

Details

(8)

Michaelstein Monastery

The Michaelstein Monastery founded in 1146 is situated in a quiet idyllic location on the edge of the Harz. It experienced during the Middle Ages a long period of prosperity, its abbots were repeatedly used for clerical duties by the pope.

5.50

Adults

Details

Germany's Largest Wooden Church
(8)

Germany's Largest Wooden Church

The Market Church "the Holy Spirit" is the central attraction at the town hall square in the village of Clausthal. The previous building was destroyed by fire in 1634, and was replaced by a wooden church, completed in 1642 and was ordained Pentecost in 1642. It is the largest wooden church in Germany.

free

Adults

Details

Germany's Smallest Wooden Church, Elend
(8)

Germany's Smallest Wooden Church

The emblem of Elend is the "smallest wooden church" with a size of 5m by 11m with seating for 80 people. The church is in the Gothic Revival style and sits on the church lawn in the centre of two ancient oak trees. The church was first opened in 1897 without a tower.

free

Adults

Details