Almost in slumber lays the remarkable former monastery Ilsenburg. The 1000 year old monastery is a rarity on European soil with special plaster floor engravings from the Middle Ages. The monastery was built on land given for the purpose in 1003 by Emperor Henry III to the Bishop of Halberstadt. In 1525 it was stormed, plundered and largely demolished by rebellious peasants; the monks were driven away, and did not return for several months. The lords' protectors were the Counts of Wernigerode until 1429, when on their extinction their inheritance passed to the Counts of Stolberg, who at the Reformation were supporters of Lutheranism. From 1549 onwards the monastery was subjected to severe changes, and in 1555 it became, with its properties and assets, part of the territorial possessions of the Counts.
Opening Times: Daily from 9.30am to 16.30 Cost: 2.00 euro