Originally Herzberg Castle was a medieval castle used as a hunting lodge built in the 11th century. The castle was built on the behest of King Lothair III. It belonged to the House of Welf for 700 years. After a fire in 1510 it was rebuilt as a timber-framed castle. In 1714 the castles was given up as a residence and from 1882 it was the seat of the district court of Herzberg. Today the castle houses a small cultural centre with a restaurant, a museum and the great hall, which is used for various cultural events.
Opening times: November to March 11.00 - 16.00 April to October 10.00 - 16.00
(All photos under licence wikipedia author Elke Wetzig)